Students, parents panic as Mandarin High School has third lockdown since May

After the third bomb threat at Mandarin High in a year, school officials acknowledge changes must be made to keep students and faculty safe.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Mandarin High School was given the all clear and students returned to class after the school was placed on a Code Yellow lockdown after a bomb threat, according to Duval County Public Schools.

Monday marked the third time the school has gone on lockdown since May.

PREVIOUS STORIES: Mandarin High School students, staff returning to classes after bomb threat lockdownDCPS: Mandarin High School all clear after code red lockdown

Content Continues Below

"I don't understand why it keeps happening," said a parent who only wanted to go by Leanne.

When Action News Jax spoke with her Monday, her daughter was texting her from the auditorium as police investigated the bomb threat.

"She's scared," Leanne said. "She asked me to pray for her."

Content Continues Below

TRENDING: 

Action News Jax told you about another bomb threat there in May.

Then, just last month, a student was detained for fear of having a gun on-campus. A gun was not found.

None of the cases have resulted in arrests.

"At what point does the School Board need to step in and say, ‘We need to do something differently here?'" Action News Jax asked DCPS School Board Chairwoman Lori Hershey.

"That was my thought as I was driving here today," she said.

Hershey said DCPS has added more school resource officers and school safety assistants here.

"Obviously, what we're doing hasn't stopped the threats," Hershey said.

Parents worry change won't come soon enough.

"It's kind of becoming a once a month kind of ordeal," Leanne said. "Not good."

Download WJAX Apps