ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. - A mother is accused of abandoning her child in historic St. Augustine on the Fourth of July.
The St. Augustine Police Department said they received complaints Monday about Jennifer Belk, 26, of Keystone Heights. Deputies found her walking along the Bridge of Lions, where she admitted to leaving her child near the seawall.
When asked why, Belk told deputies, "It's legal for me to kill him when he is inside me, but not when he is out?
The child was found by officers, and wasn't injured, authorities said.
The Florida Department of Children and Families was notified and took custody of the child.
Belk was arrested and charged with child neglect.
Trending on ActionNewsJax.com:
- Mother of slain model from Jacksonville fears for family's safety
- Hundreds of bed bugs infest local apartment
- Report: Jaguars running back Denard Robinson 'asleep' behind wheel in crash
- Man accused of holding wife captive, torturing her for days
- Ohio day care worker, fiance plead guilty to raping children
© 2018 Cox Media Group.