TAMPA, Fla. — AAA will once again be working hard to keep impaired drivers off the road during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. The Auto Club Group’s annual program provides transportation for the would-be impaired driver and their vehicle.
AAA has offered Tow to Go for 25 years. During that time, 25,000 impaired drivers have been removed from roads across the county.
How does the Tow to Go work?
When someone calls Tow to Go, AAA dispatches a tow truck to transport the would-be impaired driver and their vehicle. They are taken to a safe location, but it must be within a 10-mile radius.
AAA says that the service is free to anyone, but it also stresses that it should be treated as a last resort.
According to AAA, during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend from 2016-2020, over 800 people died in crashes involving a drunk driver.
AAA spokesman Mark Jenkins said the following regarding driving impaired and your options to getting home safe.
“AAA is proud to offer this service to help everyone make it home safely this Thanksgiving. Alcohol, drugs and even prescription medications can affect your ability to drive. So don’t put yourself at risk. Find a designated driver or ride-sharing program. If you’re tempted to drive impaired, call AAA instead and we’ll get you to a safe location.”
Tow to Go is available in FL, GA, IA, MI, ND, NE, TN, WI, CO (Denver), NC (Charlotte), IN (Fort Wayne/South Bend).
[SIGN UP: Action News Jax Daily Headlines Newsletter]
To request the Tow to Go service dial 855-2-TOW-2-GO or 855-286-9246
TOW TO GO GUIDELINES
- Provided from 6pm Wednesday, Nov. 23rd – 6am Monday, Nov. 28th
- Free and available to AAA members and non-members.
- Confidential local ride for one person and their vehicle to a safe location within a 10 mile radius.
- Appointments cannot be scheduled in advance to use Tow to Go. It is designed as a safety net for those that did not plan ahead. Always choose a designated driver before celebrating.
- In some situations, AAA may need to make other arrangements to get an impaired individual a safe ride home.
- Tow to Go may not be available in rural areas or during severe weather conditions.