A University of North Florida professor and group of students excavated a site in Mayport on Thursday.
Dr. Keith Ashley and his students were at a Native American site that dated to about AD 1000.
The area around Wonderwood Drive and A1A was a Native American burial ground before it was redeveloped.
Students found pottery, animal bones and large piles of shell garbage from as early as 1,000 years ago.
The artifacts will be taken back to campus, studied and entered into a state database.
Trending on ActionNewsJax.com:
- Teacher had sex with 13-year-old student, got pregnant, authorities say
- Lawsuit claims human skin found in Publix ice cream cake
- South Florida officers find 2 alligators eating human body
- SJSO: Woman with Xanax 'plays mermaid,' enters Vilano Beach homes
- Shocking road-rage video shows Florida driver slam into motorcycle
- Couple accused of beating up veteran at American Legion Post
Cox Media Group