JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Surveillance video captured a car speeding down Beaver Street, two patrol cars with their lights flashing behind it.
Moments later, a car crashed just east of Chaffee Road. Police say two women were thrown from the wreckage.
“That’s crazy, they could have just stopped. They could’ve killed somebody,” Londa Jackson, who lives nearby, said.
According to JSO, an officer saw the car speeding on West Beaver Street around 1:30 a.m. and suspected possible DUI.
JSO says the driver refused to stop, leading police on a 2-mile chase.
The car appeared to have hit a stop sign before continuing down Beaver Street. It took out two more signs before coming to a stop right next to a concrete power pole.
One woman had life-threatening injuries and a second was seriously hurt, JSO said.
- St. Johns County release picture, name of suspected driver in fatal hit-and-run
- 9th American tourist dead in Dominican Republic while vacationing with friends
- Police chase ends with 2 women badly hurt in West Jacksonville
- "He took my kid, that's unforgivable to me": Mother opens up about her son's suspected killer
- Thieves are using new technology to take money from families in multicounty skimming ring
“I heard they don’t even know who was driving, it's sad. It's really sad,” Jackson said.
Action News Jax asked JSO what their protocol is for chasing drivers. We were pointed to their policy on vehicle pursuits and are waiting for a copy.
Jackson said she’s glad she no one else was hurt.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.