JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Jacksonville police said a woman may not survive after she was doused with fluid and set on fire while working at a Jacksonville Golden Corral.
Officers said the restaurant on Memorial Park Road, near Normandy Boulevard, was packed around 5 p.m. on Wednesday when a man walked in.
Surveillance video shows the man douse the woman in her 50s with a flammable liquid and light her on fire, officers said.
Jacksonville police said the woman knew the man. A Golden Corral spokesperson said he did not work at the restaurant.
The suspect was found sitting on a curb next to the restaurant.
The suspect, 58-year-old Darryl Tyrone Whipple, was arrested and charged with attempted murder, officers said.
Golden Corral released a statement:
The victim, who hasn't been identified, was taken to UF Health in Gainesville for treatment of burns to 70 to 80 percent of her body.
She is in life-threatening condition, according to police.
Trending on ActionNewsJax.com:
- Woman badly burned at Jacksonville Golden Corral, witnesses say
- Man charged with murder after woman found dead at St. Augustine motel
- Document: Divorce papers filed day before couple found dead after apparent murder-suicide
- Wildlife removal workers catch 5 1/2 foot snake in St. Johns County
- Baby sleeping while standing on head spooks aunt
© 2020 Cox Media Group