• Neighbor suffers shock after attempting to save man from electrocution


    ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. - St. Johns County Fire & Rescue Department responded to a reported electrocution at the 100 block of Honey Branch Lane, a few miles west of the St. Augustine Outlet Malls around 9 a.m. Thursday.

    Officials treated two injured people on the scene who were involved in a chainsaw accident.

    Chad R. Janes was using a chainsaw to cut branches off of a tree that had fallen on a power line.

    Witnesses heard three booms and saw a fire behind the home.

    Latest News Headlines from Action News

    A neighbor, Joseph Charles Sheffield also heard the noise and went outside. Sheffield tried to help Janes by moving him and experienced electric shock.

    Sheffield did not fall on the electric current.  He was transported to UF Health in serious condition.

    Sheffield is now at UF Health in Gainesville, receiving additional treatment for his electric shock injuries. 

    Janes was pronounced dead at the scene.

    For Action News on the go, sign up for Action News Mobile & Email alerts.

    Local law enforcement requested Florida Power & Light Company to de-energize the power lines around the scene. This caused power outages to about 861 for about an hour.

    Florida Power and Light spokesperson told Action News, “We extend our sympathies out to those who were injured in today’s incident.”

    Next Up: