Brushing aside stories in recent days which have raised questions about funding for his 2020 re-election bid, President Donald Trump told reporters Tuesday that if needed, he would dip into his personal fortune to fund his campaign in coming weeks.
“Yeah, if I have to, I would,” the President told reporters on the tarmac before leaving for campaign stops in Florida and North Carolina. “Whatever it takes - we have to win.”
The comments came a day after a New York Times story which noted high levels of spending by the Trump Campaign.
“But if we needed any more, I would put it up personally, like I did in the primaries last time,” Mr. Trump added, referring to his 2016 race, when he spent upwards of $60 million of his own money.
While Joe Biden’s campaign announced it had raised a staggering $365 million in the month of August, the Trump Campaign has yet to announce its fundraising figures, an unusual silence for the GOP.
The Biden figures were made public on September 2.
In other hints of a possible cash issue, the Trump Campaign has also taken most new television ads off the air, as the Biden Campaign was outspending the President by a 10-to-1 margin in TV ad time in recent weeks.
In speaking with reporters on Tuesday, President Trump did not indicate how much money he might put into his campaign - but Bloomberg News reported it could be upwards of $100 million.
The financial situation is a big turnaround from earlier this year, when Biden was struggling to raise money, while the President’s campaign was flush with cash.
But in recent months, Democrats have opened their wallets in record amounts.