A gas station employee found a sleeping baby in the backseat of a car and the infant's parents unresponsive in the front seats because of a drug overdose, officials said. — A gas station employee found a sleeping baby in the back seat of a car and the infant’s parents unresponsive in the front seats because of a drug overdose, officials said.
“Well, I’ve got two people out here in a car that are obviously messed up,” the employee said in a 911 call, WKRN reported. “I cannot wake... I mean, they’re drugged out or whatever. They’re breathing and stuff, but they will not wake up and the car’s sitting out here at the pump with the flashers on. I got the keys out of the car. It wasn’t even locked.”
Investigators found Stephen Tant, 41, in the driver seat and Florence Bowden, 32, in the passenger seat. The parent’s baby was asleep in the back.
“There is a baby in the back seat. I did not even see this baby. Oh my God,” the employee said. “I’m gonna take this baby into the store. They didn’t have the doors locked or nothing. Oh my God!”
Nashville fire rescuers revived Tant and Bowden with Narcan. The couple were taken to a hospital for treatment and later arrested.
Tant told investigators the couple ran out of Suboxone, so they went to purchase heroin, WKRN reported. They bought the heroin, used it and then drove to the gas station with the baby in the back seat throughout.
Tant and Bowden were arrested and charged with child neglect, DUI with a child, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Tant was also charged with possession of a controlled substance.
Cox Media Group