INDIANAPOLIS — An Indiana man died Monday evening after a snowblower ignited while he filled it with gasoline, authorities said.
Firefighters were called to a home shortly before 5:30 p.m. after receiving a report of heavy smoke coming from an attached garage, Indianapolis Fire Department Battalion Chief Rita Reith told the Indianapolis Star.
Firefighters said they believed Douglas was smoking while pouring gasoline into the tank of the snowblower, which ignited the machine and set his clothes on fire, WTHR reported.
According to an Indianapolis Fire Department spokesperson, Douglas was alert and talking with firefighters while he was being taken to the hospital, the television station reported. However, despite life saving efforts, Douglas died at the hospital.
© 2021 Cox Media Group