New Jersey toddler orders $1,700 worth of furniture on Walmart website

MONMOUTH JUNCTION, N.J. — Call this New Jersey toddler a big spender.

>> Read more trending news

Ayaansh Kumar is 22 months old but he already knows how to use a phone. The child ordered $1,700 worth of furniture online from his mother’s cellphone, clicking the cart icon on a Walmart website to begin a flurry of package deliveries to their new home, WNBC-TV reported.

“It is really hard to believe that he has done this, but that’s what happened,” the boy’s father, Pramod Kumar, told the television station.

The boy’s mother, Madhu Kumar, had created a cart on her cellphone but never completed the transactions. When furniture began arriving this week, she asked her husband and two older children the big question: Who ordered all this stuff?

“I need one or two, why would we need four?” Madhu Kumar told WNBC.

Then the Kumars saw Ayaansh, with phone in hand, and it all clicked.

“He just went to the cart and whatever was there, boom, he just clicked and all payments just went through,” Pramod Kumar told News12 New Jersey. “We saw this guy, phone in hand -- ‘Oh no.’ We called, ‘Can you please cancel?’ They said no, it’s already delivered.”

The boxes began to pile up at the Kumar residence in Monmouth Junction.

“The first person came with the box and he put it next to the door,” Madhu Kumar told the television station. “The second person came, then first step, then second step then third, it was a queue.”

Ayaansh bought accent chairs, flower stands and other items that his mother had placed in the online shopping cart.

“He’s so little, he’s so cute, we were laughing that he ordered all this stuff,” Madhu Kumar told WNBC.

Cute, but high maintenance.

The Kumars said they reached out to Walmart and explained what happened, adding that the store will refund them for the items they return. They added that they will make their phones more secure to prevent another shopping spree.

“Moving forward, we will put tough passcodes or face recognition so when he picks up the phone he finds it in (a) locked condition,” Pramod Kumar told WNBC.