‘Our little hero’: Texas boy with cerebral palsy saves family by warning them of gas leak

ATASCOCITA, Texas — A boy with cerebral palsy in a Houston suburb is being hailed as a hero for alerting his family of a carbon monoxide leak in their home.

>> Read more trending news

“He’s our little hero. He saved our family,” Angie Martinez said of her 7-year-old son, Michael Martinez.

Michael Martinez is unable to walk and spends a majority of his time in a wheelchair at his Atascocita home, KHOU reported.

“I don’t want to be in a wheelchair,” he told the television station.

Last week, seven members of Michael’s family members were sleeping when he heard a beeping sound, KHOU reported. The boy crawled to his parents’ bedroom to warn them, the television station reported.

The noise was the family’s carbon monoxide detector, KHOU reported. The gas was coming from the kitchen stove, the television station reported.

“I was shaking because I was scared,” Michael Martinez said.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and deadly gas, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Enough exposure to carbon monoxide can cause a person to pass out or die, according to the CDC.

Michael was born at 27 weeks and only weighed 3 pounds, his mother said.

“I thank God he’s here,” Angie Martinez told KHOU.

Michael Martinez has to navigate his wheelchair with his arms, but his family hopes to buy him a motorized one. The family set up a GoFundMe account to help raise money for the motorized wheelchair. Click here to donate.