GLYNN COUNTY, Ga. - Investigators have found that gases were released into the air on Aug. 22, the potential cause behind one student going to the hospital and respiratory problems for three others.
The Georgia Environmental Protection Division said six pounds of hydrogen sulfide were released into the air, as well as 40 pounds of byproduct gases.
Jim Weidhaas, the media relations director for Glynn County Schools, said paramedics took one student from Glynn Academy to a hospital the morning of Aug. 22. The academy also kept kids inside.
Brunswick Fire Chief Randy Mobley told Action News the odor came from the Georgia Pacific paper mill nearby and said it's harmless but obnoxious.
Mobley said an outage at the plant led to the odor, which smelled like natural gas.
The investigation continues, according to the GEPD.
Investigators: Gases released into SE Georgia air on Aug. 22
Action News Jax anchors discuss their experiences mentoring…
Buses return to roads as Duval County students head back to school
Action News Jax Investigates: Kids being arrested in Duval County schools
Safety on the busy roads near schools