Police investigate possible electrocution in St. Augustine

by: Russell Colburn Updated:


ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. - The St. Johns County Sheriff's Office and St. Augustine Beach Police are investigating an apparent electrocution at a 24-hour St. Augustine Beach convenience store Thursday morning. 

Police say the incident appears to be accidental and happened late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning.

According to the SABP, the Kangaroo convenience store on A1A Beach Boulevard had problems with its beer coolers.

An outside company came to fix them, but they began having problems again. The company, Integrity First Refrigeration, temporarily fixed the problem and came back out.

A patrol officer noticed the repair truck and a ladder on the side of the building around 2:30 a.m., SABP said. The victim, 47-year-old Robert Wagner of Orange Park, was found on the roof inside the cooling units, which police said were sparking. 

Wagner died at the scene.

Authorities waited for an electrician to make sure it is safe before the power was turned on. The store is expected to open later in the day. 

OSHA investigators arrived on scene early Thursday afternoon.

Action News checked OSHA records and found no incidents with Integrity First Refrigeration in the last five years.