Jacksonville, FL — Are you just about ready to hit the checkout button on your Cyber Monday shopping cart?
Before you do, the Better Business Bureau is sharing some tips to make sure you’re happy with your decision, and don’t end up regretting it.
Courtney Roland was eager to get her shopping started when we caught up with her running a quick errand before heading home to “open up the laptop and do a little finger dancing,” she said.
Cyber Monday is the biggest online shopping day, and Roland’s favorite spending day.
“I prefer Cyber Monday, you get 80% off, 75% off, which is a good deal, especially around Christmas time,” she pointed out.
Adobe Analytics predicts Americans will spend $11.3 billion by the end of the day.
“Clearance, clearance, clearance! We love sale, s-a-l-e, sale!” Roland shouted with excitement as she threw her hands in the air.
For Roland, it’s the perfect day to check one last item off her gift list.
“A 32-inch TV for my kids’ room. Something to mount so they won’t be so touchy-feely with the one they have now,” she said. “And also, so I won’t be subject to Numberblocks and PJ Masks every day, all day,” she jokingly added.
In order to make sure you’re still dancing on air after you hit the purchase button, the BBB is sharing the following tips:
- Beware of false advertising and phony websites.
- Shop with trustworthy sellers on secure sites only.
- Keep your antivirus software up to date.
- Price check before you buy.
- Take advantage of rewards and loyalty programs.
- Use your credit card so if any shady charges turn up later, you will be able to contest them through your credit card company.
- Understand return policies.
- Watch out for phishing scams, like those from unsolicited emails, texts, calls, or letters.
“Pay attention to what you’re buying, pay attention to the card that you’re using so there’s no mix-up,” Roland emphasized. “Compare. Compare, compare, compare, and have a happy holiday!”
For general information on how to avoid scams, visit BBB.org/AvoidScams.
For more advice, read BBB’s tips on online shopping. If you’ve spotted an online scam, report it to BBB ScamTracker.
©2021 Cox Media Group