3 coronavirus cases in Florida, 5 additional cases involving Florida residents confirmed by the CDC

FLORIDA — UPDATED 3/4/2020 - According to the Florida Department of Health website, two people have COVID-19 in the state of Florida and one additional person is in the process of getting CDC confirmation. Five additional Florida residents, who are currently not in the state of Florida, have tested positive for COVID-19. Those five people will not be returning back to Florida until they are declared healthy.

Original Story 3/2/2020 - The Florida Department of Health said two presumptive cases of coronavirus have been confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control.

Gov. Ron DeSantis said the two cases are an adult in Hillsborough County and an adult in Manatee County.

  • The adult in Manatee County has no travel history, underlying health conditions and had been in hospital.
  • The adult in Hillsborough County has history of travel to Italy and has a roommate or sister who had been traveling.

Twenty-three people are being tested and 184 people are being monitored.

RELATED: Complete coverage of COVID-19 in Florida

DeSantis said the state anticipates more people will test positive but said the immediate threat to the public remains low.

DeSantis’s office issued Executive Order 20-51 in response to the coronavirus cases in the state. Declaring a public health emergency ensures health care providers immediately report cases to the Department of Health.

RELATED: City: 'Single digit’ number of people in Jacksonville being monitored for coronavirus

DeSantis held a news conference in Miami on Monday afternoon. Watch below:

WATCH LIVE: Gov. Ron DeSantis gives briefing on Florida's coronavirus preparations

WATCH LIVE: Gov. Ron DeSantis gives briefing on Florida's coronavirus preparations

Posted by Action News Jax on Monday, March 2, 2020

Senator Marco Rubio also issued a statement on the coronavirus cases:

“The health and safety of every Floridian, especially the elderly and those with compromised immune systems, remain my highest priority. I will continue to work with the Trump Administration and Governor DeSantis to ensure our State has the resources and information it needs. I am working with my colleagues in Congress on a funding package to ensure Florida has every available federal resource to respond to the coronavirus, and I look forward to its swift passage in the coming weeks.”

Sen. Rick Scott released the following statement:

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Kevin Beaugrand

Kevin Beaugrand is a digital content producer for Action News Jax.