JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — One Jacksonville day care this week was tagged with a Class 2 violation, that’s according to the Department of Children and Families. Action News Jax anchor Letisha Bereola visited the center to see if it's back in compliance.
She visited the Discovery Tree Academy in San Pablo to ask about an issue concerning one of its drivers that the DCF inspector cited them for. That class 2 violation could pose a threat to the health and safety of a child, according to state guidelines.
“You guys can’t be here,” an employee told Bereola when she arrived. The director didn’t want to go on camera and referred her to the owner, Jennifer Freeman.
The inspector said the center’s driver had an expired physical exam. DCF requires drivers to have updated medical records before they take your kids around town.
Freeman told Bereola over the phone the driver’s exam expired one day before the visit and they didn’t drive after that.
That driver reportedly took a physical that day and the center is now back in compliance.
The center, however, also received four class 3 violations, which pose a low potential of harm to a child DCF said. Those violations were all paperwork related and were corrected on the spot.
The day care has a new director and she’ll make a positive difference, the owner said.
“Through her organization and leadership we will not have these types of issues. These are paperwork issues and the safety and security of our children were never at risk,” Freeman said.
The second day care in this week’s Kid Care Report is Little Temples Academy LLC. in Oceanway. Bereola checked each of its inspection reports and found all of them were 100 percent compliant since it opening in 2018.
Here are the latest clean inspections:
- Little Temples Academy LLC, 2467 Faye Rd. Ste 12
- Destined Angels Christian Academy, 5045 Soutel Drive. Ste. 30
- Northside Community Involvement Inc., 4736 Avenue B. Jacksonville, FL
- Cinderella Child Development Center Inc., 44 E. 27th St.
- Blooming Blossoms Daycare Center, 1014 E. 21st St.
- Victorious Learning Center I LLC., 2629 Edison Ave.
- La Petite Academy, 6601 Argyle Forest Blvd.
- C.U.C.I.O.M, 2725 N. Laura St
- T's Learning Center III, 11526 Lake Mead Avenue
- Isle of Faith Child Development Center, 1821 San Pablo Rd.
- The Learning Experience, 8411 Southside Blvd.
- Ortega Playschool, 4807 Roosevelt Blvd.
- Prodigies Early Learning Center, 14054 Beach Blvd.
- Growing Minds Academy Inc., 5800 Ricker Rd.
Cox Media Group