JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Every week, Action News Jax investigates local child care centers to see how they measure up to state guidelines. In this week’s Kid Care Report, Letisha Bereola shows you one day care that was tagged for a violation concerning its cribs.
P & R Kiddie College on the Northside had two violations during its recent DCF inspection. The first was a class 2, which could pose a threat to the health and safety of a child, according to state guidelines. That was for an infant sleeping on his back in the crib with a fleece blanket underneath him. And 3 other cribs had a loose blanket in the crib. DCF requires fitted sheets and no excess bedding.
Bereola went to the day care to talk to the owner. Before the camera was turned on a staff member came to the car and said they were back in compliance and had no comment. Later, Bereola spoke to the owner on the phone and she said the blankets were provided by the parents and were tucked under the mattresses—acting like crib sheets. While the inspector was there, a staff member went to the store and purchased fitted crib sheets for all of their cribs and they are now back in compliance.
The inspector also tagged the center for a class 3 violation, which is the least serious according to DCF for 30 tiny dead roaches in the refrigerator and freezer. that was cleaned up and the center got back in compliance.
The second day care in this week’s kid care report is La Petite Academy off Argyle Forest Blvd. It had 76 children present and 12 staff members working when DCF stopped by. everything from van inspections to record keeping was 100 percent compliant.
- Blooming Blossoms Daycare, 1014 E. 21st St.
- La Petite Academy, 6601 Argyle Forest Blvd.
- The Goddard School, 14230 Spartina Ct
- Episcopal Children's Services Northside Early Head Start, 1070 W. 18th Street
- Kinder College Learning Center, 1605 Hill St.
- Bundles of Joy Academy, 75 E. 43rd St.
- Two Angels Academy LLC, 8927 Lem Turner
- Bethlehem Lutheran Preschool, 1359 Palm Cir.
- Palms Preschool & Childcare Center, 3410 3rd St.