JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — As Nicole threatens to impact Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia in the coming days, parents are no doubt already wondering how the storm might affect their child’s school.
Action News Jax is monitoring local districts, colleges and universities and will update information as it comes into our newsroom.
For more information on school closures throughout Florida, visit this page on the Department of Education’s website.
Duval County Public Schools will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 10, due to the expected impact of Nicole.
Additionally, all athletics, extracurricular, and afterschool activities are canceled for Thursday and will be rescheduled.
More info at http://ow.ly/E8m450LyPBc
All Columbia County Schools will be closed on Thursday, November 10, 2022. All extracurricular activities are also canceled on Thursday, November 10, 2022. On Friday, November 11, 2022, The District will be closed for all employees and students in observance of Veterans Day. The plan is to re-open for normal school day on Monday, November 14, 2022.
Clay County District Schools leadership is continuing to monitor Tropical Storm Nicole around the clock alongside our partners at Clay County Emergency Management. Due to the projection and potential aftermath of the storm, in partnership with Emergency Management and our mutual agreement for the use of our schools that operate as hurricane shelters, CCDS is closing schools and district offices on Thursday, November 10. The school district already had Friday, November 11, as a holiday in observance of Veterans Day, and schools and district offices will remain closed on Friday, November 11.
Superintendent Broskie will be attending a press conference at Clay County’s Emergency Management Office in Green Cove Springs at 9 a.m. Wednesday, November 9th, to discuss shelter operations.
Schools in Nassau County School District will be CLOSED on Thursday, November 10. As a reminder, schools are CLOSED on Friday, November 11 for Veterans Day.
All afterschool activities will be canceled for November 9 & November 10.
St. Johns County
- Due to Tropical Storm Nicole’s projected timeline, St. Johns County School District schools will remain open on Wednesday with a regular early dismissal. Extended day services will operate as usual. There will be no afterschool activities, events, or athletics. SJCSD will close all schools and district offices on Thursday, November 10th. Please be reminded that Friday is a holiday honoring Veterans Day.
- Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind will be closed Thursday, November 10 and Friday, November 11, 2022.
All schools will be closed Thursday, November 10th. Schools will also be closed on Friday, November 11th to observe Veterans Day, which was already a scheduled holiday for students and staff. There will be no extracurricular activities Thursday, November 10th. However, at this time, the B.C.H.S Wildcat Football playoff game is still scheduled to be played Friday evening at Memorial Stadium.
Bradford County Schools said Wednesday, “Due to Tropical Storm Nicole, all Bradford County schools and district offices will be closed Thursday, November 10th. Please remember that there is also no school on Friday, November 11th due to the observance of Veterans Day! For updates on any extracurricular activities happening tonight or tomorrow night, please stay in contact with your students extracurricular sponsor or coach. Stay safe Tornadoes.”
Putnam County School District said its schools will be closed on Thursday, November 10. All after-school and athletic activities are cancelled at the end of the school day tomorrow, November 9th. Friday, November 11 is a scheduled student and staff holiday for Veterans Day. PCSD expects to have all schools open for students on Monday, November 14. PCSD said it will keep everyone updated regarding possible make-up time for students.
The Union County School District will be closed Thursday (11/10) and Friday (11/11). All school-related activities for these days will be suspended.
The scheduled Veterans Day Celebration will be moved to Monday, November 14th, at 9:00 a.m. in the Union County High School Auditorium.
Camden County Schools will close all schools in Camden County and cancel all activities for Thursday, November 10, 2022.
All Glynn County Schools will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 10 with after-school and extracurricular programs canceled on Thursday, as well.
Schools will remain closed on Friday, Nov. 11 in observance of the Veterans Day holiday; however, Glynn County School System employees scheduled to work on Friday should report to work on Friday.
- Providence School and Preschool will be closed on Thursday, November 10, in anticipation of the impact of Nicole. All athletic and extracurricular activities are canceled for Thursday. All outside afterschool activities for Wednesday will be canceled (clubs and athletics). Indoor practices, extended day, and extracurricular activities will continue Wednesday as scheduled.
- Jacksonville Country Day School will be closed Thursday, November 10. Extended Care and Enrichment activities (including basketball practices and games) will also be canceled for Thursday. There are no changes to Wednesday’s schedule. The school plans to resume normal operations on Friday, November 11.
- The Bolles School has canceled classes Thursday, November 10, for all campuses. All other activities will be rescheduled, and school will reopen Friday as usual.
- Epsicopal School of Jacksonville’s three campuses will be closed during the school day Thursday, Nov. 10. School will resume as planned on Friday to include all extracurricular activities and events.
- Christ’s Church Academy will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 10, due to the expected impact of Nicole. All outdoor athletics, extracurricular, and afterschool activities are canceled for Wednesday, Nov 9. CCA is closed and all athletics, extracurricular, and afterschool activities are canceled for Thursday, Nov 10.
- San Jose Schools will close all schools on Thursday, November 10, due to the forecasted impacts of Tropical Storm Nicole. School will resume Monday, November 14. Friday was already a day off in observance of Veterans Day.
- Schools in the Catholic Diocese of St. Augustine will be closed Thursday, Nov. 10 with faculty and students returning to classes on Monday, Nov. 14. Visit www.dosaeducation.org for updates on Catholic school closures.
- Trinity Christian Academy and all offices will be closed Thursday, all day, due to the storm. The school will remain closed, as planned, for Veterans Day. All extra-curricular activities are also cancelled Thursday and Friday.
Universities / Colleges
Edward Waters University
Edward Waters University will have remote classes and meetings on Thursday because of Hurricane Nicole. The university has canceled all in-person activities on Thursday, including athletic and band practices. While the residential facilities will stay open, university leaders encouraged students who were able, to evacuate campus Wednesday. During Hurricane Ian a few weeks ago about 100 students who were unable to evacuate sheltered-in-place in the campus arena. They were provided food and entertainment. The university also announced it is changing the time of this weekend’s AME Football Classic due to anticipated impacts from Nicole. EWU was set to take on Allen University at 2pm on Saturday, November 12. The game will be moved a few hours later with kickoff at 6pm at the Glover Community Field and Stadium. For more information on classes and meetings click here. For details on the AME Football Classic click here.
Flagler College is continuing to track the path of Subtropical Storm Nicole and its expected impact on St. Augustine and the campus. The greatest threat that the storm poses is potential flooding beginning Wednesday. For this reason, the College will be adjusting its operations throughout the week, including moving to remote class sessions on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. For more information, please visit, www.flagler.edu/stormnicole
Florida A & M Jacksonville College of Pharmacy
The school will be closed Wednesday, November 9, 2022.
Florida Gateway College
The school and its testing center will be closed Thursday, November 10, 2022.
Florida State College at Jacksonville
All classes and activities on all FSCJ campuses and centers are canceled Thursday, November 10, 2022, including online classes. In addition, all faculty and administrative offices will also be closed Thursday. The College will remain closed on Friday, November 11 in observance of Veterans Day as previously scheduled. At this time, classes will resume and all locations will reopen on Saturday, November 12 at regularly scheduled times.
Classes that would have met Thursday, November 10, will meet asynchronously. Work will be conducted remotely on Thursday, November 10. The University will also be closed on Friday, November 11. In the event of an emergency, please contact Campus Security directly at (904) 256-7585. Officers are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
St. Johns River State College
The school will close at noon on Wednesday, November 9 and remain closed through Friday, November 11, 2022.
University of North Florida
Due to the expected weather impacts of Tropical Storm Nicole, the University of North Florida is canceling all classes and events, including online classes, for Thursday, Nov. 10. University offices will be closed during this time. On Friday, Nov. 11, University offices are closed and classes will not be held due to the Veterans Day holiday, but the campus will be open for campus activities and events. More information available at https://www.unf.edu/emergency/
[SIGN UP: Action News Jax Daily Headlines Newsletter]