GLYNN COUNTY, Ga. - Candles burn in honor of a 6-year-old girl and her mother. The Glynn County Sheriff’s Office said they were both shot by the child's father.
Those close to Emiko Diaz laid pictures, candles and flowers at the doorstep of her apartment, where she was killed, in memory of her.
"The most beautiful person in the world that you were able to see. Always smiling, willing to give and always being there even if she had problems," family friend Lila Panek said.
Dozens of loved ones came together outside the family’s apartment Monday night. They stood listening to some of Emiko Diaz’s favorite songs and telling stories of their favorite memories.
"It’s terrible that terrible things happen to such amazing people, like her," said friend Carla Miranda.
- Man kills wife, injures 6-year-old in apparent murder-suicide in Brunswick
- 6-year-old in critical condition after parents' murder-suicide
- Community rallies around girl after parents killed in Brunswick murder-suicide
The question on everyone’s mind now is why did this happened.
The Glynn County Sheriff’s Office said Jesus Diaz shot and killed his wife and shot their daughter, Eva, before turning the gun on himself.
"I don't think that he had a reason for it to do what he did to her and especially to the little girl. She didn't deserve what happened to her," Panek said.
Luckily, Eva was able to crawl to her neighbor for help.
Panek said Emiko Diaz became the child's guardian angel.
"Up until that moment, we think her mother was looking after her that she had the strength and courage to look for help," Panek said.
Eva is in critical condition in a hospital in Savannah.
Trending on ActionNewsJax.com:
- Semi-truck catches fire after crash on I-95 in St. Augustine
- Photos: 6-year-old in critical condition after murder-suicide
- Teacher creates 'no-homework' homework policy
- Children found with feet ‘caked' in dog feces, living in trash, deputies say
- Woman trying to take photo falls to death from California cliff
© 2019 Cox Media Group.