JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The City of Jacksonville’s Keep Jacksonville Beautiful Commission invites residents to join one of the world’s largest water protection efforts by contributing to the 2022 International Coastal Cleanup.
On Saturday, Sept. 17, volunteers can visit various locations in the city to remove trash and debris from beaches, lakes and rivers; start and end times vary by location. Event leaders will be available at each site to register volunteers and provide materials, including bags and gloves.
Advanced registration is not required.
This event provides an opportunity for students to satisfy community service requirements. Participants must be over 18 or accompanied by an adult. Service hours certificates will be available from site captains.
Each year, hundreds of thousands of volunteers around the world participate in the event, keeping track of every item found to be included in the Ocean Conservancy’s yearly snapshot of marine debris. Locally, in 2021, 9,840 pounds or 4.92 tons of debris was collected by 523 volunteers who donated 1,076 hours of their time. The value of that volunteer time amounted to $30,709.04, based on hourly volunteer estimates by Independent Sector.
Site locations and times are as follows:
Oceanfront locations: 7-9 a.m.
- 8th Avenue North at the ocean
- 16th Avenue South at the ocean
- Atlantic Boulevard at the ocean
- Beach Boulevard at the ocean
- Seagate/20th Avenue at the ocean
All other locations: 9-11 a.m.
- All Wet Sports/Pottsburg Creek (10-11 a.m.): 8550 Beach Blvd.
- Blue Cypress Park (8-10 a.m.): 4012 University Blvd. N.
- Boone Park North: 3700 Park St.
- Boone Park South: 3725 St. Johns Avenue
- Burnett Park: 3740 Burnett Park Rd.
- Castaway Island Preserve: 2921 San Pablo Rd. S.
- Charles Reese Park: 1200 Ken Knight Dr.
- Fishweir Park: 3925 Valencia Rd.
- Five Points: 1028 Park St.
- Ft. Caroline Memorial: 12713 Ft. Caroline Rd.
- Hollybrooke Park: 319 Cherokee St.
- Kathryn Abbey Hannah Park (8-10 a.m.): 500 Wonderwood Dr., Atlantic Beach
- Klutho Park: 204 W. 3rd St.
- Lonnie Wurn Boat Ramp (8-10 a.m.): 4131 Ferber Rd.
- McCue Park and Boat Ramp: 2510 Second Ave.
- Mandarin Park: 14780 Mandarin Rd.
- Murray Hill Parks: 4208 Kingsbury St.
- Reddie Point Preserve: 4499 Yachtsman Way
- Riverside Arts Market: 753 Park St.
- Riverview Community Center: 9620 W. Water St.
- T.K. Stokes Boat Ramp: 2120 Riverview St.
- Tillie K. Fowler Regional Park: 7000 Roosevelt Blvd.
- Walter Jones Historical Park: 11964 Mandarin Rd.
- Willow Branch Park: 2870 Sydney St.
NOTE: Locations and times are subject to change.
Action News Jax will continue to follow the story and update you as events unfold.
©2022 Cox Media Group