ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. - A Florida man was arrested on suspicion of stuffing two packs of rib-eye steaks in his pants in an attempt to steal them from a St. Augustine Publix, according to the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office.
According to the SJSO, Michael Owens, 61, was reportedly seen on surveillance video grabbing a total of $56.36 worth of steak, shoving it down his pants, then passing through checkout and exiting the store.
CONTENT CONTINUES BELOW:
- JSO dive team at a retention pond off Philips Highway
- I-95 closed for hours after incidents in Jacksonville leads to stolen police SUV, high speed chase
- Jacksonville teacher removed from classroom over Pledge of Allegiance message to students
- Jeffrey Epstein autopsy finds broken bones in his neck, report says
- Baby left in hot car outside Arizona Target as temperatures hit 112 degrees, police say
- One-of-a-kind indoor sports facility planned for St. Johns County
A loss prevention officer who witnessed the event was able to apprehend Owens as he exited the store.
According to the report, the steaks were able to be recovered by loss prevention, but they were unable to put the steaks back on the shelves due to where they had been.
Owens told police that he thought if he were to get caught, he would be trespassed from the store, not arrested, according to SJSO.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.