BRUNSWICK, Ga. — Carolyn Macon lives on Newcastle Road in Brunswick and on Sunday she saw flames erupting from that warehouse which faces her backyard.
“I heard the boom. It was like ‘boom, boom’ and my house shook and I’m thinking to myself, ‘Lord this is happening again.’ And then I heard all the sirens and then I ran to the door,” Macon said.
Police pounded on her door to leave because of how close the fire was to her home.
“And we did get out and came back at 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. And it was really on and popping,” Macon said.
The Brunswick Fire Department told Action News Jax the fire was caused by a dust explosion. At one point, the center of the warehouse collapsed.
The warehouse itself is owned by the Montreal-based biofuel company Logistec and is being used to store wood pellets.
The warehouse is also located near Saint George Greek Orthodox Chapel.
Amy Pavlou told Action News Jax the chapel is historic and she’s grateful the fire didn’t damage it.
“This is how churches look in Greece typically. We’re just proud to be able to show this to our children. It’s more of a cultural thing than a religious thing,” Pavou said.
Macon told Action News Jax it’s not the first time a fire like this has happened.
In July of 2015, she said there were at least two warehouse fires that were much worse.
That’s because the structure was made of out wood and it burned quicker.
“When I tell you it went up like a candle. Girl it went up, Macon said.
Macon said since then, they’ve built the warehouse with tin and that’s what helped contain the fire and keep it from spreading.
On Monday morning, Action News Jax reached out to OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) to see if there’s been any safety violations with the warehouse or to see if there are plans to shut it down.
The agency says it’s working on our request.
We’ll be sure to update you as soon as we hear back.
Cox Media Group