JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Police are investigating after a man was found shot to death in his home. The incident happened in northwest Jacksonville. The initial call to police was about a possible home invasion.
#JSO is working a person shot in the 2200 block of Grand Street.
The shooting happened at a house near Grand Street and 5th Avenue and family members and neighbors in the area were devastated by the shooting.
On Friday afternoon, the Sheriff's Office said it got the call about a home invasion just before 4 p.m. When officers arrived, they found the homeowner shot to death inside his home.
Family told Action News Jax the man who died was 55-year-old Rodney Reid. His mother, Lottie Linder, was upset by how her son died.
- 'We're not giving up until these guys are found:' Search to continue for missing firefighters
- The Pier Cantina & Sandbar to close its doors in September
- Reality star Todd Chrisley's daughter says father, brother blackmailing her with sex tape
- Coast Guard, other agencies searching for two missing firefighters off coast of Port Canaveral
- PHOTOS: Alligator seen climbing fence at Naval Air Station Jacksonville
“Yeah, I was trying to call him. I called him twice, and I couldn’t get him. I’m just so sorry my son had been killed like this,” Linder said.
Police told Action News Jax another person made the initial call about the alleged home invasion, but they would not confirm if the call came from inside the home. Many people in the area were saddened to learn how their neighbor died. Now family members are left remembering the good times they shared with Reid and not the horrible end to his life.
“He was a very loving person, but God is giving me strength to be able to stand, and the person that did this, God will take care of them,” Linder said.
Police said they have no suspect description right now but they are continuing their investigation.
Officers are asking anyone with information on this shooting to contact Crime Stoppers at 904-630-0500.
© 2020 Cox Media Group