Jax announces details on how to apply for emergency rental and utility assistance program

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The City of Jacksonville’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program has distributed over $62.6 million of federal funds since March 2021.


Those funds have been used for rent and utility assistance to Duval County residents unable to pay rent and utilities due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The City of Jacksonville has also received an additional $3.3 million of federal funds for rental assistance.

[DOWNLOAD: Free Action News Jax app for alerts as news breaks]

The rental and utility assistance program will reopen the application portal starting Wednesday, Nov. 30, at 8 a.m. The application portal will close to new applications Monday, Dec. 5, at 5 p.m.

The assistance program will be available to people to cover up to 12 months of past due rent and utility payments for rental households negatively impacted by COVID-19.

Read: Refurbished tech market growing as a way to save cash, and help the environment

Federal guidelines require qualifying persons and families to have an income below 80% of the area median income. The income requirements are as follows:

Household size50% Total AMI80% Total AMI
One person$29,300$46,850
Two people$33,450$53,550
Three people$37,650$60,250
Four people$41,800$66,900
Five people$45,150$72,300
Six people$48,500$77,650
Seven people$51,850$83,000
Eight people$55,200$88,350

In addition to the income prerequisite, applicants must meet the following criteria:

  • A resident of Duval County (this includes the Beaches and the Town of Baldwin)
  • Part of an “Eligible household” as defined by the Act as follows:

An “Eligible household” must include one or more individuals who are obligated to pay rent on a residential dwelling in Duval County and must also demonstrate all three criteria below:

1. One or more individuals within the household has:

  • qualified for unemployment benefits, or
  • experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due, directly or indirectly, to COVID-19 and can attest to such in writing;

2. One or more individuals within the household can demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, which may include:

  • a past due utility or rent notice or eviction notice;
  • unsafe or unhealthy living conditions; or
  • any other evidence of such risk, as determined by the City; and

3. The household has a household income that is not more than 80% of the area median income (AMI) for the household.

[SIGN UP: Action News Jax Daily Headlines Newsletter]

Residents can apply online beginning Wednesday, Nov. 30, at 8 a.m. The online application is available by clicking here.

Common Questions

Can more than one household member apply?

Only one tenant application can be filed per residential rental property. It is therefore recommended tenants of one residential rental property coordinate with their household members to ensure only one such application is filed. Applications that are found to be duplicative will be denied as a duplicate.

Can a homeowner get mortgage assistance with this program?

No. Assistance through this program is only available to renters with a primary address in Duval County.

Is this program available for residents who live outside of Duval County?

No. Only residents of Duval County (including the Beaches and Town of Baldwin) can receive assistance from the City of Jacksonville’s ERAP. Many other counties are establishing their own ERA programs.

Does the rental property have to be the renter’s primary residence?

Yes. The rental property must be the tenant’s primary residence and must be in Duval County. Proof of primary residency may be required.

Does the lease have to be in the applicant’s name?

Yes. The lease must be in the primary applicant’s name, and the applicant must be responsible for paying a portion or the full amount of the rent.

What if I am not eligible for the program?

If you are not eligible for the program, we encourage you to contact United Way 211 (dial 2-1-1 or 904-632-0600) for information on local programs available to assist residents.