JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A JSO officer is recovering from a fiery crash.
Action News Jax obtained video of the car on fire after it hit the officer’s cruiser.
The flames reached into the sky and appeared to catch the power line above the car on fire.
- Clay County sheriff's wife: ‘This crazy heifer right here has been stalking my husband'
- Medical treatment could have played role in death of Clay County mother charged with shoplifting
- Jacksonville veteran-owned restaurant burglarized
- New Jacksonville City Council decided, with GOP picking up one seat
Police say the car veered off West 45th Street and onto the sidewalk, where it hit a power pole and street sign before crashing into the officer’s stopped cruiser.
Investigators say the officer is in stable condition.
Neighbors tell us they came out of their homes to help get the officer out of the car.
“The first thing I heard was a big boom,” said neighbor Cassandra Duggans. “I mean, it was loud. In this area, the first thing I do is run, because it's a gunshot.”
Police told Action News Jax the suspect tried to run but was caught. He’s now facing charges.
Neighbors are praying Thursday for the officer’s recovery.
“My prayers are with him,” said neighbor Benjamin O’Neal. “And I hope that he recovers.”
Action News Jax is working to learn more about the suspect involved, and the charges he’s facing.
WHAT WE KNOW:
- The crash occurred at 11:50 p.m. Wednesday at 45th Street and Bunche Drive in Northwest Jacksonville
- The marked JSO patrol car was stopped on side of Sunny Acres Drive East, a side street off of 45th Street
- The officer inside the car was on routine patrol and the only person inside the patrol car
- A suspect driving west on 45th Street veered towards the police car for "unknown reasons," struck a power pole, a street sign and crashed into the left side of the patrol car
- The suspect fled on foot and was apprehended and arrested on multiple charges by police
- Neighbors nearby assisted the officer and called for help
- Officer was taken to the hospital and is stable
- Traffic homicide is investigating
- Officer's name has not been released at this time
© 2019 Cox Media Group.