JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - After an investigation, James Gates III and Jessica Williams have been arrested for the murder of Duane Lanter. Derik McMillian, already in custody on unrelated charges, pleaded to accessory after the fact in the murder, the Sheriff's Office said.
The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office responded to the 4300 block of Napoli Road in reference to reports of someone shot Dec. 14, 2018. Upon arrival, officers located a victim suffering from an apparent gunshot wound.
The victim, Duane Gerald Lanter, 57, was transported to a local hospital where he died Dec. 19, 2018 as a result of the shooting, police say.
- Mom of girl seen licking medical equipment in Jacksonville-area doctor's office arrested
- JSO search for hit-and-run driver accused of striking car, then pedestrian in Jacksonville
- Restaurant Report: Jacksonville Metro Diner location cited for violations
- "Up to 100 diners" say they got sick from parasite in food at local restaurant
- Michigan couple pays tribute to Trump with MAGA-themed wedding
- Florida Burger King customers tell Spanish-speaking manager to 'speak your Mexican at home'
Through the course of this investigation, it was discovered that Jessica Leigh Williams, 37, worked at a local adult entertainment establishment. During the evening of the shooting, Williams had been seen with Derik Lawrence McMillan, 26, and James Gates III, 27. At one point, Williams met the victim and they engaged in conversation.
Shortly after, Williams and Lanter left the establishment. A short time later, Williams returned where she met McMillan and Gates in the parking lot of the business. Williams joined the two, and they left the business in a vehicle to meet up with Lanter to sell him drugs.
Upon arriving at Lanter’s home, Williams and Gates entered his home to conduct the drug transaction. While inside the residence, Lanter was shot by Gates. Williams and Gates left the residence and the three fled the area, according to JSO.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.