JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - While the website Backpage.com, a former online sex-for-hire market, was shut down along with the personals section of Craigslist, a new website may be trying to take its place in Jacksonville.
Action News Jax Law and Safety Expert Dale Carson says because many of the profiles have nude photos that makes it difficult for police to conduct undercover stings. Online escort sites are making it harder for police to crack down on prostitution.
CONTENT CONTINUES BELOW:
- Jacksonville Jaguars' Jalen Ramsey arrives at training camp in armored truck
- School rejects offer to pay $22,000 in delinquent student lunch bills
- Jacksonville wedding photographer could face additional charges
- JFRD: Children injured in apartment fire on Moncrief Road
- Kid Care Report: Jacksonville day care tagged for violations by DCF inspector
In two local cases, a man and woman used the site to sell women for sex.
According to an arrest report, Richard Jenkins told a woman, “She needed to make $1,200 and she couldn’t go home until she made that money.”
In another case an arrest report for Ashley Ewart says she advertised a female victim 56 times on the same site.
Carson says people can connect directly to the person they want to pay for a sex act.
Action News Jax reached out to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office about the website and their investigative efforts.
A spokesperson said the website is one of the platforms they are aware of: "We do not talk particulars in reference to how these investigations take place as to not compromise investigative techniques.”
- The website SkiptheGames.com is allegedly a new platform connecting johns and prostitutes directly.
- People can connect directly to the person they want to pay for a sex act.
- Hiring an escort isn't against the law.
- Action News Jax found two local cases where a man and woman were arrested after using the site.
- Resources for human trafficking:
RELATED: Jacksonville woman claims man used her in sex-trafficking from Backpage website | Sexual ads still appearing on Jacksonville Backpage 2 months after adult services section shut down | Online sex ads rebound, months after shutdown of Backpage
© 2019 Cox Media Group.