NEW ORLEANS — One person has died and four others were injured in a shooting at the Bacchus parade Sunday night in New Orleans, authorities said.
Updated 7:41 p.m. EST Feb. 20: New Orleans Police Superintendent Michelle Woodfork Monday said that a 21-year-old man has been arrested in the shootings and that two guns were recovered at the scene, according to The Associated Press.
The suspect is facing a second-degree murder charge in addition to a charge of illegally carrying a weapon, according to the AP.
Woodfork said that a teenager died from their injuries, according to the AP. Four others were injured including a 4-year-old girl and three adults. They were all taken to the hospital and have since been released.
A possible motive behind the shooting remains under investigation, Woodfork said, according to the AP.
- Jessica Goodman, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
Original story: According to the New Orleans Police Department, the shooting occurred at about 9:30 p.m. CST as the parade was ending, NOLA.com reported. The shooting occurred at the intersection of St. Charles Avenue and Terpsichore Street.
The victims included a juvenile girl, an adult female and three adult males, according to the website. Police said the juvenile was in stable condition at University Medical Center and the others were in critical condition, according to NOLA.com. During a news conference earlier in the night, New Orleans police Chief Deputy Hans Ganthier said only one person was in critical condition.
Ganthier said one person was in custody and that two guns were found at the scene, WWL-TV reported.
“This is really not something we wanted to see,” Ganthier said during a news conference, according to WDSU-TV. “We really wanted this to be a safe Mardi Gras and we continue to work towards that end.”
An investigation is ongoing, WGNO-TV reported. It was unclear what circumstances led to the shooting or whether there was a motive, police said.