Florida man charged after toddler daughter accidentally swallows heroin, police say

MELBOURNE, Fla. — A Florida man is behind bars after police said his toddler daughter accidentally swallowed heroin.

According to WFTV, Nathaniel Clay, 28, met with officers at a Melbourne Fire Department station and said his 16-month-old daughter possibly had ingested the drug. Authorities took the girl to a nearby hospital, where she was treated with three doses of Narcan, the news outlet reported.

A field test later determined that a brown substance on the girl’s shirt was heroin, according to WFTV.

Clay claimed that the girl encountered the heroin while visiting an associate in the northern part of the city, authorities said. Clay, who was armed, threatened to shoot the associate if he told anyone about the incident, WFTV reported.

Melbourne police arrested Clay and charged him with child neglect, authorities said.

Read more here.