It’s the “Run for the Roses,” the “Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports,” the first jewel in the Triple Crown of horse racing.
Saturday will see the running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky.
Here’s what you need to know about the race for 3-year-olds.
When is the race?
The 2022 Kentucky Derby will be held on Saturday.
What time is the race?
Post time is 6:57 p.m. EDT.
How far do the horses run?
What is the track surface?
What is the record at the track?
Secretariat holds the record. The horse ran 1¼ miles in 1:59 and two-fifths seconds.
Who is running in the Kentucky Derby?
Here are the horses set to run, their trainer, their jockey and the morning-line odds as of Thursday:
1. Mo Donegal, Todd Pletcher, Irad Ortiz Jr., 10-1
2. Happy Jack, Doug O’Neill, Rafael Bejarano, 30-1
3. Epicenter, Steve Asmussen, Joel Rosario, 7-2
4. Summer Is Tomorrow, Bhupat Seemar, Mickael Barzalona, 30-1
5. Smile Happy, Kenny McPeek, Corey Lanerie, 20-1
6. Messier, Tim Yakteen, John Velazquez, 8-1
7. Crown Pride, Koichi Shintani, Christophe Lemaire, 20-1
8. Charge It, Todd Pletcher, Luis Saez, 20-1
9. Tiz the Bomb, Kenny McPeek, Brian Hernandez Jr., 30-1
10. Zandon, Chad Brown, Flavien Prat, 3-1
11. Pioneer of Medina, Todd Pletcher, Joe Bravo, 30-1
12. Taiba, Tim Yakteen, Mike Smith, 12-1
13. Simplification, Antonio Sano, Jose Ortiz, 20-1
14. Barber Road, John Ortiz, Reylu Gutierrez, 30-1
15. White Abarrio, Saffie Joseph Jr., Tyler Gaffalione, 10-1
16. Cyberknife, Brad Cox, Florent Geroux, 20-1
17. Classic Causeway, Brian Lynch, Julien Leparoux, 30-1
18. Tawny Port, Brad Cox, Ricardo Santana Jr., 30-1
19. Zozos, Brad Cox, Manny Franco, 20-1
20. Ethereal Road, D. Wayne Lukas, Luis Contreras, 30-1
Also eligible if any of the above horses withdraw from the race:
21. Rich Strike, Eric Reed, Sonny Leon, 30-1
22. Rattle N Roll, Kenny McPeek, James Graham, 30-1
©2022 Cox Media Group