Suspect arrested, 2 still on run in Seattle shooting that killed 1, injured 7

SEATTLE — Seattle police detectives identified two suspects wanted in the downtown Seattle shooting Wednesday night that killed a woman and hurt 7 other people, including a 9-year-old boy.

The suspects still at large are Marquise Latrelle Tolbert, 24, and William Ray Tolliver, 24. Police said both are armed and dangerous. Mayor Jenny Durkan said a third shooter was arrested.

The third suspect, Jamel Linonell Jackson, 21, was arrested at the scene for being a felon with a gun. Police found him shot, and Jackson was booked at 10:19 p.m. Wednesday after being released from Harborview Medical Center.

Police said Jackson admitted to having a gun during Wednesday’s shooting, and they were corroborating that with video evidence. Jackson’s criminal history includes robbery convictions, a misdemeanor harassment conviction and two prior convictions for unlawful handgun possession, court documents show.

In a 2017 guilty plea, Jackson said he was not a gang member. But police that year said he was a known gang member, outlined his alleged gang ties in court documents, and prosecutors wrote that Jackson “is likely to commit a violent offense.” Prosecutors wrote that after Jackson was arrested for being a felon in possession of a handgun outside the same McDonald’s on Third Avenue where Wednesday’s shooting happened.

See the full briefing with Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan and Police Chief Carmen Best below. Reporters Amy Clancy and Graham Johnson were there asking questions, and they’ll be live as part of team coverage on KIRO 7 at 5.

The story continues below the video and links.

Facebook Live

Mayor Jenny Durkan, Police Chief Carmen Best and other officials are providing an update after a shooting in downtown Seattle last night killed one and injured seven. Here’s what we know: (Impeachment coverage will return shortly)

Posted by KIRO 7 News on Thursday, January 23, 2020

Tolbert is 6-feet 1-inch tall and 200 pounds. Tolliver is 6 feet tall and 145 pounds. Anyone who sees them or knows their whereabouts is asked to call 911.

Detectives are investigating the possibility that the shooting was some sort of gang initiation, according to a Seattle police source.

The shooting happened shortly before 5 p.m. near Third Avenue and Pine Street near Macy’s and McDonald’s. Police say at least two men opened fire on one another and then fled.

The ATF is helping Seattle police with the investigation, and late Wednesday night, Best said in a social media post there would be more officers on the block until further notice.

Witnesses told investigators that two or more male suspects were in a disturbance and began shooting at each other,” Seattle police said in a statement released shortly after 10 p.m. Wednesday. “They fled the scene immediately following the shooting. Investigators are still gathering information about the suspect(s). This remains an active and ongoing investigation, and information will be updated as it becomes available.”

Officers are reviewing surveillance video from every camera they can find in the area and combing through forensic evidence.

Police ask anyone with information about the shooting to call the Seattle police tip line at 206-233-5000. Those who were there and have video or photo evidence can share it directly with investigators by uploading it at this link.

The Victims

The woman who died was in her 40s or 50s, a fire department spokesman said.

In addition to the 9-year-old boy, the other surviving victims are five men, ages 21, 32, 34, 35 and 49 years old, and a 55-year-old woman. Victims were shot in the buttocks, leg, chest and abdomen, Harborview spokeswoman Susan Gregg said.

Late Wednesday night, Harborview said four of victims had been released. As of Thursday morning Gregg said the three remaining patients were improving. The 9-year-old boy, who was shot in the leg, was in satisfactory condition; the 32-year-old man was in satisfactory condition; and the 55-year-old woman, who was shot in the stomach, was in serious condition. She underwent surgery Wednesday night and had been in critical condition.

People have been reaching out to KIRO 7 asking where they can donate blood. Those who want to donate can find information here.

Chaos after gunfire erupted

The shooting happened in the middle of rush hour when sidewalks were packed with bus commuters and streets were lined with cars.

Police said 45 units were dispatched to the shooting scene, and it happened as officers were investigating another shooting nearby. Police did not say those two scenes were related.

KIRO 7 spoke to witnesses who were nearby when the gunshots were fired.

Annalisa Murphy said she was waiting for the bus with about 20 or 30 other people when the shots were fired. Watch her interview in the video below.

“I was right there, I was about 10 feet away from going down into the light rail, and I heard a pop, pop, pop and about a dozen shots, and I just saw people jumping behind cars, and jumping behind anywhere they could hide,” said Douglas Converse.

“We saw a dead body and then we saw a gunshot in the window,” said Lofi Leungwai.

“I knew it wasn’t fireworks and then I started screaming,” said Angela Maria Favre, who lives nearby.

Many people took out their cellphones and started filming after the shooting. Others say they saw at least one of the shooters run into the nearby light rail tunnel to get away, but that has not been confirmed by police.

People who work in the area said they are tired of the violence.

“To see all this happening on like a Wednesday night, it’s like, what else can go on. I’m just sick of all this. I’m sick of all this violence, all of this violence,” said Shai Dukes.

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan released the following statement shortly before 9:30 p.m. Wednesday night:

Early this evening, a dispute between individuals in our downtown core escalated into gunfire. As a result, a number of...

Posted by Mayor Jenny Durkan on Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best tweeted Wednesday night:

Gov. Jay Inslee released the following statement Wednesday night:

“Our hearts go out to the victims of tonight’s shooting in downtown Seattle and we commend the Seattle Police and Fire Departments for their swift response to this tragedy," a spokesman for the Downtown Seattle Association said in a statement. "Criminal activity around Third and Pine has been persistent for far too long and too often has led to violence and innocent lives lost. The heart of our city should feel safe and welcoming for all who live, work and visit here. We call on public officials to devote the resources necessary to improve safety in downtown and take back Third Avenue from the criminals who have laid claim to it. On behalf of residents, small business owners, employers and visitors, we say enough is enough.”

This is the third shooting this week in downtown Seattle.

On Tuesday night, a man died after a shooting inside Westlake Center. Police are still searching for the suspect.

Earlier Wednesday, there was a separate shooting involving Seattle police officers and King County deputies near Third Avenue and Blanchard Street. One suspect was injured and taken to the hospital.

Follow this link to see the Seattle Police Department’s annual report on gun violence, released earlier this month.

Comments on this article