Action News Jax has received photographs of a car that appears to have crashed into Metro Diner in San Marco.
Action News Jax reporter Russell Colburn was at the scene and talked with the owners of the restaurant.
Daniel Schelhorn, one of the managing partners of Metro Diner told Colburn that the restaurant will be closed for the next three to four weeks.
- Photos: Renderings of new development that could be coming near the St. Johns Town Center
- Auburn University gymnast breaks both legs during floor routine
- First openly autistic attorney in Florida inspires local families
- St. Johns County deputy involved crash on State Road 16
- Wandering boy, 4, alerts police to larger issue in West Jacksonville neighborhood
Schellhorn also told Colburn that an off-duty Jacksonville Sheriff's officer swerved to miss a car that was crossing Hendricks Avenue.
According to Schellhorn, the off-duty officer lost control and crashed into the restuarant and the other car fled.
Schellhorn said he was made aware of incident after a call came into the Southside location restaurant around 7:45 p.m.
The diner decided about a month ago that it would close for dinner and was not open when the crash occurred.
Jennie Szaltis has lived in the area for 30 years, and calls Metro Diner a staple.
She got to the scene not long after the crash.
“It could have been a lot worse,” Szaltis said. “We’re glad Metro’s OK. They’ll get fixed. We love them. We’ll get them back in business.”
© 2019 Cox Media Group.