JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Noon Update: Crews with the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department are ventilating the area of Jessie Street near Haines Street following a hydrogen sulfide gas leak Thursday.
Shortly after 10 a.m., JFRD said someone inside the Childer’s Roofing company’s warehouse building reported the gas odor while JEA was doing routine maintenance.
JFRD’s hazmat team responded to the building and measured high levels of hydrogen sulfide -- a highly flammable gas.
They will continue to measure those gas levels until there is thorough confirmation it’s not present there anymore.
There are no injuries, according to JFRD.
JEA provided Action News Jax the following statement regarding the situation:
“We are glad everyone is okay and that they evacuated quickly. JEA crews are on the scene and addressing the issue. The odors should subside in the next few hours. Due to the impact, JEA will continue with preventive maintenance work and will perform investigatory work on the sewer system.”
A hazmat team is investigating a gas odor at a commercial building located in the 1600 block of Jessie Street on Jacksonville’s Eastside.
(Below is a map of the area.)
Officials are asking people to avoid the area.
At this time, Jessie Street is closed from Tallyrand Avenue to Haines Street, according to the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department.
Action News Jax’s Jessica Barreto is in the area working to learn more information.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates and watch CBS47 at Noon for the very latest.
©2021 Cox Media Group