TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida Commissioner of Education Manny Diaz Jr. has announced September’s chosen books to celebrate and embrace Hispanic Heritage Month.
The monthly reading challenge is to promote literacy and reading in Pre-K through Grade 12. Each month, Commissioner Diaz highlights five recommended books -- one per selected grade range.
“This month’s books celebrate Hispanic heritage and feature Spanish-speaking authors,” Diaz Jr. said in a statement. “Throughout these stories of resiliency, redemption, friendship, loyalty and sportsmanship, readers will experience a devotion to culture and a passion for literacy.”
The commissioner’s book recommendations for September are:
- PreK – Rin, Rin, Rin/Do, Re, Mi by José-Luis Orozco
- Grades K-2 – Amigo by Carlos Zamora
- Grades 3-5 – A Taste of the Mexican Market - El Gusto Del Mercado Mexicano by Nancy María Grande Tabor
- Grades 6-8 – Julieta and the Diamond Enigma by Luisana Duarte Armendáriz
- Grades 9-12 – The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton
To keep up with the book releases each month, click here to visit the Commissioner’s Book of the Month page on FDOE website.
[SIGN UP: Action News Jax Daily Headlines Newsletter]