JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A woman who police say was squatting in a West Jacksonville home was shot after the homeowner found her lurking inside.
It happened at a home on Oleander Street before noon Thursday.
CONTENT CONTINUES BELOW:
- 'We're not giving up until these guys are found:' Search to continue for missing firefighters
- The Pier Cantina & Sandbar to close its doors in September
- Reality star Todd Chrisley's daughter says father, brother blackmailing her with sex tape
- Coast Guard, other agencies searching for two missing firefighters off coast of Port Canaveral
- PHOTOS: Alligator seen climbing fence at Naval Air Station Jacksonville
The homeowner told investigators he had just gotten home when he saw a woman he did not recognize inside his home.
He told police he shot her after he saw her with one of his guns in her hands.
Police detained the homeowner and the woman was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
Stephanie Spears says it was her best friend who shot the woman in the arm.
Spears told Action News Jax she thought her friend was joking until she pulled up to his home and saw police.
“It is concerning for people to just to go into somebody’s house, change their clothes, act like they live here. Its mind bothering,” explained Spears.
Spears says her friend who fired the shots is OK.
She warns other homeowners to always keep their doors locked.
Action News Jax is working to learn who the woman was, how she got inside and if she will face any charges.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.