FERNANDINA BEACH, Fla. — People in Fernandina Beach are upset over the construction happening at the historic AL Lewis House.
- The top floor no longer exists. The construction company confirms they demolished the top floor. They say it was rotting and unsalvageable
- Neighbors believe Black history is being taken from American Beach neighborhood
- The city says there was a permit in place for the remodeling of the home
- Nassau County Code Enforcement and Planning said “The project exceeded the scope as permitted. Keith Ellis is working on coordinating a meeting with the contractor, owner, etc.”
- The owner of the land says he is remodeling and he is not demolishing the property.
Statement from the owner, American Beach:
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group