ALACHUA COUNTY, Fla. - Two people are dead following a crash in Alachua County Monday night.
The Florida Highway Patrol said drivers Morneca Campbell, 22, of Starke, and Frank Latorre, 61, of Fleming Island were killed.
- Teen robbed after meeting someone online to buy an iPhone in Jacksonville
- FHP: Pedestrian killed trying to cross Normandy Blvd.
- Photos: Local students on their first day of school for 2019-2020 school year
- Ribault head football coach removed, athletic director reassigned to different school
- JSO: Security guard killed during robbery at the High Score Arcade in Jacksonville
Troopers say at 11:31 p.m., a black Chevy Malibu driven by Latorre was traveling west on NE State Road 26, a two-lane roadway, while a red Volkswagen Passat driven by Campbell was driving east on the same road. According to the FHP report, "one of the vehicles crossed over the center line of NE State Road 26," causing a head-on collision.
The area was closed for about two hours as troopers investigated. Both drivers were taken to Shands Health Gainesville, where they were both pronounced dead.
Campbell had a 22-year-old passenger in the car, according to FHP. The passenger had minor injuries. Troopers say neither Campbell nor the passenger were wearing a seat belt.
The crash remains under investigation, the FHP said.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.