David Lee held out hope for finding firefighters Brian McCluney and Justin Walker, Wednesday, after the two did not return from a fishing trip off the Port of Canaveral Friday, Aug. 16.
He believed they could be floating, waiting to found in the Atlantic Ocean.
“The fortunate side is that they are young men. They seem to be capable. Being that they have some form of training in their history, it’s very probable that they’re out there," said Lee.
The boat owner said he had been following search efforts.
“It’s just terrible. Young people, they have family, you know, it’s a sad situation for them all,” Lee said.
- Dozens of firefighters help search for two men who went missing while fishing
- "This is a bread crumb they threw overboard": Missing firefighter's tackle bag found by boater
- Photos: Local firefighters to continue search for two missing boaters
- 'We're not giving up until these guys are found:' Search to continue for missing firefighters
- Missing boater's wife helps search by air as rescue efforts continue off Florida coast
- Missing firefighters: 180 volunteers searching off Jacksonville's coast
- Discovery of missing firefighter's tackle-bag helps steer search
- Wife of missing Jacksonville firefighter joins search for husband, friend
- Volunteers in Georgia join efforts to find firefighters lost at sea as search expands
- How to help in the search for missing firefighters lost at sea off Florida Coast
- Volunteer boater recounts covering hundreds of miles in search for missing firefighters
- Pilot searching for firefighters lost at sea says this is some of the hardest flying he's done
- Local doctors discuss what it takes to survive at sea as search continues for missing firefighters
Action News Jax reported Tuesday that the Coast Guard announced a northern shift in their focus toward Brunswick and Savannah, Georgia.
“Just hope to find anything, anything to give the family hope – just something to give some information to anybody,” said Lee.
According to search leaders, four or five boats left from each of the following areas:
- St. Catherines Island
- St. Simons Island
“We fish, you know, that’s what we do. You’d like to think that other people would do this for you if this happened to you. You feel compelled to help if you can,” said Lee.
FOR THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS ON THIS STORY: Download the Action News Jax app for live updates on breaking stories
© 2020 Cox Media Group