‘Signs of improvement’: Damar Hamlin remains in critical condition after on-field collapse

CINCINNATI — Days after collapsing and requiring CPR on-field in a game against the Cincinnati Bengals, Buffalo Bills Damar Hamlin remains in critical condition but is showing signs of improvement.

>> Read more trending news

Jordon Rooney, a spokesman for the family and a friend of Hamlin’s, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the player’s recovery is moving in “a positive direction” and “we all remain optimistic.” He told the AP he could not go into further detail, citing a request by Hamlin’s family.

The Buffalo Bills said Wednesday afternoon on Twitter that Hamlin remained in the intensive care unit in critical condition “with signs of improvement noted yesterday and overnight.” The team said Hamlin is expected to remain in the ICU.

Hamlin, a second-year safety for the Buffalo Bills, collapsed on the field shortly after tackling Bengals wide receiver Tee Higgins during Monday night’s game in Cincinnati. After the play, Hamlin rose to his feet and stood for several seconds while appearing to adjust his face mask before falling backward. Game announcers said CPR was administered on the field.

“My greatest fear has flashed in front of me that particular moment, but to the goodness and Grace of God, Damar is still here and he’s still fighting,” Troy Vincent, NFL executive vice president of football operations, told reporters in a news conference on Wednesday, according to CNN.

Rooney told the AP that Hamlin’s family was staying positive and was touched by the outpouring of support from fans and fellow athletes.

“They are elated right now,” Rooney told the AP. “Damar is still their first concern. But for them, they always look at how they can turn a somewhat troubling situation into a good one. The bounce back from this, for him and his family, is going to be incredible.”

The Buffalo Bills and New England Patriots are scheduled to play on Sunday. The teams’ scheduled media availability Wednesday was postponed until Thursday, CNN reported. There has been no date scheduled for the continuation of the Bills-Bengals game that was suspended indefinitely on Monday night.

Comments on this article