While most of us can only dream of winning the lottery, a few people have done it.
Here are some of the largest lottery jackpots in history, provided by The Associated Press:
1. $1.586 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016
The world’s biggest lottery jackpot was split three ways, giving each winner $528 million apiece. The tickets were sold in Chino Hills, California; Melbourne Beach, Florida; and Munford, Tennessee.
2. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, Oct. 23, 2018
According to AP, the largest single winner in U.S. history purchased the winning ticket at a convenience store in Simpsonville, a suburb of Greenville, South Carolina. The winner chose to remain anonymous.$1.337 billion, Mega Millions, Oct. 23, 2018
3. $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022
The single winning ticket was purchased at a Speedway gas station and convenience store in Des Plaines, Illinois.
4. $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, Jan. 22, 2021
A four-member suburban Detroit lottery club won a $1.05 billion Mega Millions jackpot and received around $557 million each. The winning ticket was purchased at a Kroger grocery store in the Detroit suburb of Novi.
5. $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019
According to ABC News, a 24-year-old Wisconsin man won $768.4 million after purchasing a ticket in New Berlin, Wisconsin.
6. $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017
Mavis L. Wanczyk, a Massachusetts hospital worker, won the $758.7 million Powerball prize in August 2017. Wanczyk worked for 32 years in a clerical job at Mercy Medical Center in Springfield. When asked if she would keep working, she told the AP, “I called and told them I will not be coming back.”
What to do if you win the lottery
If you’re lucky enough to win the lottery, there are a few things you should do to ensure that you make the most of your winnings:
- Sign the back of your ticket to establish ownership.
- Keep your ticket in a safe place until you can claim your prize.
- Once you’ve claimed your prize, take some time to think about how you want to use your winnings.
©2022 Cox Media Group