Every week Action News Jax investigates local child care centers to show you how they measure up to state guidelines. In this week’s Kid Care Report, Action News Jax's Letisha Bereola's questions resulted in a policy change at a local day care.
Inspiring Minds Academy Inc. received a class 2 violation, which means it could pose a threat to the health and safety of a child, according to the Department of Children and Families. The inspector found playground equipment was not maintained or safe. The inspector said there were cracks on a slide and the fall zone didn’t have enough mulch.
The center did not respond to the door and hung up the phone when Bereola called to get its side of the story. Inspiring Minds Academy Inc. had until Thursday to safe proof its playground.
The next day care is Lakewood United Methodist Preschool. The child care center received four class 3 violations, which pose a low potential for harm to children, according to DCF.
The inspector noted the following:
- A staff member should have completed a 40-hour introductory course.
- No documentation to show completion of a five-hour literacy course.
- No proof of training for fire extinguisher use.
- Two employees had no five-year employment verification on file.
The facility sent Action News Jax this statement in response to all of the violations:
“We strive to provide a warm, caring, comfortable and safe Christian environment for all of our children. These citations were clerical errors, mostly pertaining to one employee's file, and her subsequent lack of meeting a training deadline due to her lapse of employment with us. Two of these citations were completed at time of inspection and two of them were completed by 2/12/19. We continue to maintain a stellar and safe learning environment that meets and exceeds the childcare standards. We appreciate the care and concern that the Department of Children and Families provides to our school and the care that they take in helping us to grow and improve each day.”
Childcare Personnel did not complete the 40 hr training requirement.
- Employee was moved to "other" personnel and will remain there until the 40 hour training is complete. As noted per DCF, she completed her coursework the day after our DCF visit and is registered to test on the next date offered: 2/21/19.
- MOVING FORWARD: Our policy has changed and we will no longer hire anyone without their 5 hour literacy and fire extinguisher training certificates as well as the start of the HSAN course, before the date of hire. This far exceeds the DCF standard for our industry.
The facility did not have documentation to show completion of the 5 hour Early Literacy Course.
- As per DCF, the same employee completed and passed the test for this course on the same day of inspection. Again, we will no longer hire an employee before this course is completed. This exceeds the current DCF standard.
Did not have documented proof of Fire Extinguisher Usage Course
- Same employee had completed the course but file was never updated with her certificate. DCF had this certificate the day after their visit. We are currently working on new employment binders to better maintain employee records.
Employment History Verification was not documented and on file.
- Employment History was documented, however it was on the wrong form within their file. Documentation was moved to the proper form and sent to DCF on 2/12/19. Again, we are currently working on new employment binders to better maintain employee records.
100% Compliant reports:
J&J Day Care and Learning Center Inc.
A Little Preschool Inc.
The Salvation Army Child Development Center
Childtime Learning Center
Wilson’s Rising Starts Youth Academy
KinderCare Learning Center
Neptune Baptist W.E.E. School
AC Center Inc.
Somerset Preparatory Academy
Kid Care Report: Local day care calls mandatory meeting, retrains staff
Kid Care Report: Two local day cares have clean track records
Kid Care Report: DCF gave two class 2 and four class 3 violations to local day cares
Kid Care Report: Two local child care centers cited for violations, others receive clean reports
© 2019 Cox Media Group.