JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Local and international artists are bringing a new and vibrant look to downtown Jacksonville.
It’s all an effort by Art Republic, a curating agency hired by Vystar, to enhance the company’s new downtown campus, including the downtown parking garage.
In the garage you’ll find new painted ceilings and murals at every floor.
Art Republic is responsible for dozens of murals around the city of Jacksonville.
We spoke with two local artists, Philip Walker and Mo Abdullah III, about being selected for the project.
“It’s been great for the city,” said Abdullah. “A lot of culture. A lot of beautiful big murals for people to talk about. It’s really inspirational for a lot of artists.”
- Jacksonville residents: Enter your address to see your new trash pickup schedule
- Veterans Day 2019: Freebies and deals on meals for vets and active duty
- Some parents say some northeast Florida schools are turning away students with disabilities
- Five men in ski masks ask women for Snapchat handles in University of North Florida parking lot
- New ordinance in Jacksonville Beach tightens restrictions on restaurant alcohol sales
Abdullah and Walker are working together on the fifth-floor mural. They’ve been collaborating for a few years now.
“Blending a lot of the local artists in the area with the global community is priceless,” said Walker.
Artist Chris “Golden” Saravia is painting the ceilings inside the parking garage. Golden lives in Miami.
“The art stays here, and benefits the child, and the energy, and the vibe of the city,” said Saravia.
It’s a legacy he plans to revisit years into the future.
Art Republic is hosting an exhibit inside the parking garage, including a rooftop party, on Friday evening.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.