JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Maya Little’s boys are just 11 months apart in age.
The mom said when they’re sick that means double the work.
“They’re normally kind of miserable, and they don’t like to sleep all day," she said. "They want to be outside and then I’ve got to keep them in. It’s kind of challenging."
Every flu season is different, and the flu shot protects against influenza viruses that are expected to dominate that year. It’s important to get yours every year. Learn about the different types of flu vaccines: https://t.co/drMMzfU8xJ pic.twitter.com/ovpNX6QU3U— Florida Health Duval (@FLHealthDuval) October 15, 2019
Action News Jax Beth Rousseau talked to Little and her toddlers just after their doctor’s appointment.
She said the last thing she wanted to think about was the flu.
“I definitely try to keep them healthy because they did get sick like two weeks ago," she said.
Duval is one of four counties in the state with the most flu activity, according to the Florida Department of Health.
- Joleen Cummings case: Murder suspect Kimberly Kessler is competent, treatment staff says
- Jacksonville star high school basketball player shot on walk home, source says
- Submit your photos: Action Sports Jax Gardner Minshew Lookalike Contest
- Changes are coming to this year's Sea and Sky Air Show at Jax Beach
- Florida Department of Health confirms measles case in Duval County
- Florida toddler dies after being left in hot Jeep outside Tampa home, police say
- LIST: Halloween events in the Jacksonville area
Right next door in Nassau County, health leaders said they weren’t seeing any of the virus.
Activity is moderate in all other Northeast Florida counties.
Warm water and soap is the most effective way to get all the flu causing germs off your hands, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
If that’s not available, the center recommends hand sanitizer that’s at least 60% alcohol.
Little said she isn’t a fan of the flu shot, but takes other steps to avoid the virus.
She explained, “I just sanitize their toys and everything, but it really all depends on the sickness they do have.”
© 2019 Cox Media Group.