• GBI: Man shot after pulling gun on Georgia officer

    By: Amber Krycka , Action News Jax


    GLYNN COUNTY, Ga. - WATCH: Live updates on Action News Jax

    Wednesday update: Authorities are investigating after an officer shot a man who fled a traffic stop in Glynn County Tuesday.

    The Georgia Bureau of Investigation began investigating after the officer-involved shooting behind the Kayak Exxon Gas Station on Nascar Boulevard.

    Authorities said at approximately 3:54 p.m., Glynn County Officer David Sepanski initiated a traffic stop.

    Kenneth Brandon Williams, 34, turned into the Kayak Exxon Gas Station and jumped out of the vehicle, officials said.

    He ran into a wooded area behind the station.  

    Autorities said the officer pursued Williams on foot and deployed his taser when he caught up to Williams.

    Sepanski drew his handgun and shot Williams multiple times after Williams displayed a handgun, officials said.

    Williams was taken to UF Health Jacksonville by helicopter. He's listed in good condition.

    Williams is expected to be charged with three felonies including aggravated assault against a police officer, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.

    The GBI is conducting an independent investigation to determine what led to the shooting.

    Once the investigation is complete, it will be turned over to the Brunswick Judicial District Attorney’s Office for review, officials said.

    Original story: The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating an officer-involved shooting that happened near U.S. Highway 17 on Tuesday afternoon.

    It happened during a traffic stop just before 4 p.m. near a Dairy Queen and Exxon gas station on Nascar Boulevard.

    During the stop, Glynn County police said, the man was shot by an officer. Officers said the man was flown by helicopter to UF Health Jacksonville, where he’s in critical condition. 

    Witnesses told Action News Jax the man had drugs on him and ran from police.

    “We were just scared, trying to stay away from all the windows,” said Brianna Cook, an employee at Dairy Queen.

    Cook said she saw a man running from police, who had their guns drawn.

    “A lot of police officers running. Some people had guns,” she said.

    Cook said police chased the man behind a fence, where she says he was shot. 

    “We went on lockdown, scared. It was definitely a scary experience. I don’t want to experience it again,” she said.

    Police said the officer involved in the shooting will be on administrative leave as the GBI investigates. 

    Next Up: