JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Jacksonville Humane Society is asking Jacksonville residents to volunteer to host adoptable dogs and cats at their homes during Hurricane Dorian.
CONTENT CONTINUES BELOW:
- Live updates: Hurricane Dorian continues to strengthen
- Water: Jacksonville shoppers find empty water shelves as they prepare for Dorian
- Evacuation: Mayor Curry: 'Still a day or two from making evacuation decisions'
- Supply Kit: What supplies you need ahead of Dorian landfall
- Sandbag locations: Here's where you can get sandbags ahead of Dorian
- Price Gouging Info: Florida attorney general encourages residents to report price gouging, use new app ahead of storm
- School closure updates: School closure announcements ahead of Hurricane Dorian
JHS is asking willing 'Storm Troopers' to stop by its shelter at 8464 Beach Blvd. Sunday, Sept. 1 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. to pick up a potential house guest that will stay through at least Sept. 6. Pets will benefit from being able to have a cozy place to ride out the storm instead of being stuck in a kennel.
#HURRICANEDORIAN UPDATE: We're currently seeking #StormTrooper families to foster pets during the storm. If interested, stop by JHS btwn 10-5 tomorrow or 12-4 on Mon. We will help you choose a pet that will be a good fit for your home. More info: https://t.co/UAwwfythKx pic.twitter.com/l3ufmUIO6x— Jax Humane Society (@jaxhumane) September 1, 2019
Staff and volunteers will help find a dog or cat that they think will be a good fit for your home.
“We are grateful that we can always count on the compassion of the Jacksonville community,” Jacksonville Humane Society CEO Denise Deisler said.
Anyone who wants to foster an animal during the storm must bring a photo ID to the Humane Society when they come to pick out an animal. JHS will provide food, leashes and collars. 'Storm Troopers' will need to make sure they have bedding and food dishes.
JHS said foster families often end up adopting their foster animals, which makes room in the shelter and gives the animals a forever home.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.