JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The mother of Tyjuan Monroe, the first teen who that was back in police custody spoke out about her sons escape from a juvenile justice center near Jacksonville.
Tajuna Mosley said she was asleep when she got a call telling her that her son had escaped.
She said knew he would go somewhere familiar, so she started making calls.
Mosley said that, just before 3 a.m. Sunday, she figured out that her son was with a family friend.
“I told him, 'Be still. Don’t move. I’ll come get (you). He said, 'Mama, well, I really wanted to see you, but I already called the place,” Mosley said.
Mosley said her son had called the Jacksonville Youth Academy, but she called police and waited for them to pick him up.
“'We are going to have to turn you in,'" Mosley said. "He said, 'OK. I just wanted to see ya’ll.'”
She said her son told her he had been dropped off and the other boys had gone on.
She told Action News Jax her son was not the ringleader in the escape.
“One of the other guys got a purse and took the keys, pushed all the buttons, and he just followed the leader,” Mosley said.
She said she is embarrassed and knows her son will be facing additional consequences.
“I’m kind of at a loss for words for it. I’m devastated,” Mosley said.
In a series of emails, the Department of Juvenile Justice answered questions about the escape and the facility saying in part:
"The Department will be conducting an escape review in addition to our investigation to determine whether to lift the suspension on admissions. I cannot provide any additional information, but I'd be happy to provide you with a copy of the investigation once it's completed."
Jacksonville Youth Academy announced that it would not be taking in teens for the time being and the Department of Juvenile Justice said that in the meantime,
"Youth committed to a juvenile residential commitment will be placed in programs similar to the Jacksonville Youth Academy that can meet their individualize treatment needs."
Cox Media Group