JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -
Jacksonville will host the annual Gate River Run on Saturday, March 9.
The race is the biggest 15K in the United States and brings people from across the country to the River City. Before you participate in the event, here are some things you need to know:
1. Arrive early!
Although the 15k race will begin at 8 a.m. on Saturday, all runners and walkers must be in position at 7:30 a.m. There will be be over 20,000 people at the event and heavy traffic is expected.
2. Don't want to drive to the race site? Take the St. Johns River Taxi.
The taxi service will begin at 6:30 a.m. and will cost $10 for adults and $8 for children ages 3 -12. It will loop around dock sites every 30 minutes and begins at the Lexington Hotel.
3. Everyone is a winner!
Medals will be given to all runners who finish the race. However, the first ten men and women will receive the following:
1st place: $10,000
2nd place: $5,000
3rd place: $3,000
4th place: $2,000
5th place: $1,000
6th place: $900
7th place: $800
8th place: $700
9th place: $600
10th place: $500
4. There will be road closures on March 8 and March 9. They are as follows:
Gator Bowl Boulevard between Georgia and Duval streets - Road will be closed from noon on Friday, March 8 until 1 p.m. on Saturday, March 9. There will be a bypass around the starting structure on Friday through parking lot J for inbound town traffic and through parking lot K for traffic coming from town.
Race Day Course Closures:
- Bay Street (Everbank Field to Main Street Bridge): 7:15 AM - 8:45 AM
- Main Street Bridge: 7:45 AM - 9 AM
- Riverplace Blvd - Prudential Drive: 8 AM - 9:15 AM
- San Marco Blvd (Prudential to Laverne): 8 AM -9:30 AM
- River Road and River Oaks Road: 8:15 AM - 9:45 AM
- Hendricks Ave (River Oaks to Alexandria): 8:20 AM - 10 AM
- Alexandria and Belote: 8:20 AM - 10:15 AM
- Atlantic Blvd. West Bound (Belote to Holmesdale): 8:20 AM - 10:30 AM
- Holmesdale, Nicholson, Olive and Gay: 8:20 AM - 10:45 AM
- Altantic Blvd. West Bound (Gay to Hart Bridge): 8:20 AM - 11 AM
- Hart Bridge Southeast Bound (Atlantic Blvd to Duval Street: 7:45 AM -11:30 AM
- Duval and Gator Bowl Blvd: 8:15 AM - 12 PM
5. Make sure to wear your race number on the front of your clothing.
This is the only way to be identified for online pictures.
6. Be sure to review the course map.
ALL race participants have to be at the Hart Bridge (mile 7.5) by 10:30 a.m. Miles will be marked and digital clocks will show the time at each mile mark.
7. Yes, there will be water stations.
Water stations and toilets can be found throughout the course. Entertainment will be provided at each mile during the race.
8. If you plan to walk only, make sure you're at the right starting line.
Walker should be in position at 7:30 a.m. and will start at the back of Wave 4 on Gator Bowl Boulevard.
For more information, please visit: www.1stplacesports.com.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.