Officials with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Monday that next year’s Oscars ceremony will be postponed until April due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The announcement marked the fourth time in history that the Oscars have been postponed, according to The Associated Press. They are scheduled to be held April 25, 2021, eight weeks later than originally planned.
Officials with the Academy also announced that they've shifted their eligibility period to account for the moved ceremony date, with the window for Academy Award consideration pushed past the standard deadline of Dec. 31. Instead, the awards eligibility period will run until February 28, 2021.
“Our hope, in extending the eligibility period and our Awards date, is to provide the flexibility filmmakers need to finish and release their films without being penalized for something beyond anyone’s control,” Academy President David Rubin and Academy CEO Dawn Hudson said Monday in a joint statement.
Officials also said they've pushed back the opening of the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, which was set to open in Los Angeles on Dec. 14, until April 30, 2021.
“We find ourselves in uncharted territory this year and will continue to work with our partners at the Academy to ensure next year’s show is a safe and celebratory event that also captures the excitement of the opening of the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures,” ABC Entertainment President Kelly Burke said in a statement.
Previously, officials said they planned to hold the 93rd annual Academy Awards on February 28, 2021.
© 2021 © 2020 Cox Media Group