Jacksonville public pools are supposed to open Saturday for the summer, but swimmers will find 1 in 4 city pools’ gates still locked this weekend.
The city’s 34 public pools are scheduled to be open from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.
According to the city, these eight pools can’t open on time because they need repairs:
- Harts Road Pool, 11597 Harts Road
- Ed White High School Pool, 1700 Old Middleburg Road
- Englewood High School Pool, 4412 Barnes Road
- Sunny Acres Pool, 9428 Merrill Road
- Robert F. Kennedy Pool, 1139 Ionia St.
- Oceanway Pool, 12215 Sago Ave. W.
- Julius Guinyard Pool, 1358 Jefferson St.
- Charles Clark Pool, 8793 Sibbald Road
Oceanway Tsunamis Swim Team board member Tanya Mauro got so frustrated last week, she wrote to the mayor.
“We had been communicated with that it was going to be fixed, it was going to be fixed, it was going to be fixed. It’s still not fixed,” said Mauro. “I would really hope that the mayor sees this and takes this very seriously, because these pools are an integral part of what’s going on. And if you’re trying to fight crime, this is one way to keep kids out of trouble.”
A city spokesperson told Action News Jax it had to order a new pump assembly to replace the Oceanway Park pool’s motor.
Those parts are expected to be installed by the end of next week.
- Officials working to contain Yellow Bluff wildfire that closed I-95, investigating cause of fire
- Restaurant Report: Customers ask for refund after hearing latest inspection at local eatery
- Here's your traffic information regarding the Yellow Bluff fire
- Florida governor signs bill allowing military teens to wear uniforms at graduation
- St. Augustine student says she was suspended indefinitely over gun photo
Then it will take about another week to balance the water chemistry.
Mauro said that’s not the only issue; she said the diving board is broken, pool tiles are broken, only one shower works and the bathrooms have no lights and no doors on the stalls.
Action News Jax asked the city Wednesday for documentation of complaints at Oceanway Park’s pool. We’re still waiting to hear back.
Only this goose is able to enjoy the pool at Oceanway Park. It’s one of eight #Jacksonville public pools that can’t open in time for #MemorialWeekend because it needs repairs. I'm mapping out the pool closures at 6 on @ActionNewsJax. pic.twitter.com/13DBubxrMk— Jenna Bourne (@jennaANjax) May 24, 2019
© 2019 Cox Media Group.